Monday, May 5, 2008

Mommy reigns again!










I guess that even a Knight in Shining Armor can get sick... Trey probably caught a cold from Sophia, who has been coughing for the past week. As I type this I am waiting for the nurse to call me back and tell me if I need to bring her to the doctor. I hate for my daughter to be sick, and even worse it appears that we are passing this cold around the house. It started on Friday with Trey, who complained of a sore throat, a deep congested cough, and body aches. He said that he feels sorry for Sophia if she feels this way.
The one magic thing about a child being sick - they ALWAYS want their mommy. Mommy has regained her status around the house this weekend. Although it may have something to do with Daddy just lying on the house and not being much fun to play with, I like to think that Sophia actually missed me. We woke up Saturday morning and had a tickle party in the bed. While I showered and got ready for brunch with the girls, she emptied the entire contents of my bathroom drawer on the floor. I watched as Sophia pulled the curling iron out and walked to the full length mirror. She shook her head back and forth as she poked herself with the curling iron as she "fixed" her hair - primping as she sees her mommy do in the mornings.

In the car on the way back from my "girl time", we played peekaboo and I laughed as she pretended to eat her toes. I pretend to eat her toes each morning when I am trying to get her to lie still while I change her diaper, and it never fails to make her laugh. That night we shared her favorite food (pasta for dinner). I cut up penne pasta and she has found that fits perfectly on the end of her finger, which is a much better way to eat than with a spoon.

Sunday we left daddy sick in bed while we went to the grocery store. Although she is trying to be mommy's helper, it can be difficult to get through the entire store without her opening a box, tearing a bag, or eating a banana. Good thing they give out free cookies in the bakery! Now that Mommy reigns again, I also have the duty of carrying the princess around the house. Sophia likes to help me with yard work, but for some reason she tries to eat the leaves and grass she picks. She will try to help with the laundry, but she is too short to put anything in the washer (although she is getting better at throwing in the socks). She even helped me make dinner by holding the spoons or putting up ingredients for me. I look forward to the day when we can cook together in the kitchen, I hope she shares my love of baking.

I hope that Trey feels better soon, but I really enjoyed having my little girl all to myself at times this weekend. I try to hold on to these times while they last, as she is growing up so fast. My favorite part of every day is right after I give her a bath. After Sophia gets out and I wrap her up in a towel, she asks me to hold her. She wraps her arms and legs around me tight and lays her head on my shoulder. We look at each other in the mirror as I hug her tightly. "Baby" she says. Yes, we both know she is still my baby.

No comments: