Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there (and especially to you Trey)! Sophia and I had a blast making you blueberry pancakes this morning and chocolate pudding parfaits for you this afternoon. I think that chocolate pudding is now her favorite food, I can tell because NONE of it ended up on the floor during snack time and she asked for more twice!
This day is always a little bittersweet for me. It was 14 years ago on Father's Day that I saw my dad for the very last time. It was the first summer home after my freshman year at WVU and I was working two jobs to make some money for school. In addition to working full time at the YMCA daycare, I worked evenings as a hostess in a steakhouse. That Father's Day, my family (me, my sister, my grandparents, and my dad) decided to meet at the steakhouse for lunch to celebrate together. I can still remember waiting for him by the front door, he was running a little late, while everyone else had gone to the table. I guess I was happy to see him when he arrived, the years have muted the memories a little and I would describe our relationship as strained at that point in my life. A few years earlier my dad had moved out of the home I had grown up in and my parents got divorced. I was a teenage girl, at an age where I barely cared about the world outside of school, cheerleading, and my friends - so hanging out with my dad was not one of my top priories. The next few years were not happy ones for him and just a few weeks after that fathers day in 1994, he was gone. For the rest of that summer when I went to work at the steakhouse, I was reminded of the last day that I had seen him.
Now every year on Father's Day, I think about the fact that I did have one last day with my dad. Even though we had been through some difficult times in our relationship, I was with him on the one day that was created to celebrate dads. Even without putting my feelings into words, by spending the day with him I was able to let him know that I loved him and appreciated him as my dad. He may not have been perfect, but he was the only dad that I ever knew and I do know that he loved me too.
I hope you were able to spend time with your dad this weekend, or at least give him a call to let him know you were thinking about him. I still think about my dad from time to time, usually when I wish I could call and share something that happened in my life with him. There is so much he missed; my college graduation, my first real job, meeting Trey, my wedding, meeting Sophia. That is why I love watching the relationship that Sophia has with Trey, and I look forward to all they have to share in the future. Becoming a dad definitely changed Trey, he is softer and he wears his heart on his sleeve when she is around. My wish is that she has more time with her dad than I had with mine, and that their relationship continues to build on the love that has been created. I also hope we make it a tradition to make blueberry pancakes every Father's Day - they were wonderful!

1 comment:

Cliff said...

I had a sneaky suspicion you would write something talking about Father's Day. It sounds like you had a great time and Trey was treated like a king! He is so lucky to have two great girls in his life. I know this day must be hard on you but I think it is great you hold on to the memories. Sometimes that is all we have and it makes it hard.

I spent the weekend with my father at the lake. I am sure he enjoys the fact that Sarah and I live close and can visit anytime we like but I always wonder if he feels cheated because my younger brother Kelly lives in Illinois and only visits through a phone call, and then of course my youngest brother Craig who died 7 years ago at too young an age of 19. I try to be there for him but always wonder if I am enough. We had a great time this weekend and he put me to work yesterday strapping willow trees under their second boathouse to attract more fish. It was a tough task but I think he really appreciated the effort. We did a lot of fishing and had a good weekend. Keep up the good work and you better hit the gym this week, you and Hugh are affecting my motivation levels!