Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic hangover

I have an Olympics-watching hangover.

The first few days of the Olympics, I was visiting my family in West Virginia so I did not get the watch much of the television coverage. I missed out on the preliminary rounds of gymnastics and I did not see Michael Phelps win his first one or two gold medals. I guess this is why I felt the need to catch up on all the action when I got home on Monday (which was the third night of primetime Olympic action).

For the next seven days in a row, we stayed up until midnight watching the historic moments that were being made in Beijing. Men’s and women’s team finals in gymnastics, the incredible action in the pool with the US swimmers, more individual gymnastics, and even more gold medals being won in the pool. Each night we would sit in front of the TV, bodies tense from the anticipation of the outcome of a vault, a 4 x 100 relay, or parallel bar routine.

I. Am. Exhausted.

Thanks to MSN, I already knew the outcome of Nastia Lukin’s parallel bar routine yesterday morning so I did not even bother to turn on the TV last night to watch the Olympic coverage. I took a much needed break from the action and went to bed at 10:00 PM.

What about you, are you overwhelmed by all the Olympic coverage? Or are you watching every night like me?

In a way I am looking forward to the end of the Olympics games so I can get back to my normal routine and focus on what is really important. Like football. The NFL Season opener is only 16 days away!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

i'm right there with ya! i'm ready for the olympics to be over just so i can go to be earlier! i get to hooked on it at night and i want to stay up and watch! not good for a sleep-deprived momma!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes it's exhausting and well worth the late nights-go USA, I really enjoyed the men's volleyball too. No rest for the weary, ending just in time for the Democratic convention-guess the housework will just have to wait! Hope all is well with you and family. Cousin Greta

Ashley said...

LOVE the new blog design! precious, precious pic of sophia! have you gotten your pics from the photographer back yet? i emailed her, but never heard back from her :(