Thursday, February 26, 2009

A week of Highs and Lows (Part 1)



So much has happened this past week that I’m not sure I can capture it all in one post…

First – our trip to WV. I was more than a little worried about how Sophia would handle the flights on Friday. I prayed for a peaceful flight and I am happy to report that we made it from Dallas, to Chicago, to Columbus, OH without one single tear!!! Sophia did WONDERFUL on the airplane. She sat next to Trey on the first flight to Chicago and soon after takeoff he pulled out the laptop and put in the movie Madagascar. My grown-up little girl sat still her own seat with her seatbelt on (we even buckled her bunny in with her) and watched the movie for most of the two hour flight. We had a layover in Chicago which gave us just enough time to each lunch and take a walk through the terminal so Sophia could burn off some energy.

The next flight to Columbus only took about an hour and Sophia sat next to me this time. I did not get out the laptop (I think we drained the battery on the first flight), but I had packed a few toys in her backpack so she sat in her seat and played. I was even able to relax enough to read a magazine while sitting next to her! Compared to the last flight I took with Sophia to WV in August, this trip was amazing. Miraculous. Almost too good to be true… It actually left me a little worried about the flight home on Monday. I will admit that anytime Sophia tried to get out of her seatbelt, Trey told her that the flight attendant would put her in time out! We also used dum-dum suckers as a bribe to keep her in her seat. I’m sure the passengers around us appreciated our efforts, as we did not get one dirty look or audible groan this time.

After the second flight, we still had a three hour drive from the airport in Columbus to Huntington, WV. Sophia fell asleep minutes and took a nap for the first hour of our drive. It was an hour past her naptime and I had woken her up early so we could catch our flight. As I expected, we made it to my grandmother’s house around 6:00 PM that evening (exactly twelve hours after I had dragged myself out of bed that morning in Dallas).

Our weekend was filled with lots of family and food. I got to see my nephews play All-Star Basketball and both of their teams won first place in the tournament! Trey and I went to dinner with my sister and her husband on Saturday night while my mom watched all the kids. Saturday night it snowed so we woke up to a white world on Sunday morning.
That morning I went to church with mom and afterwards she cooked lunch for fourteen people! I felt nostalgic as our family gathered around the table for lunch and played games afterwards – Yahtzee, Password and Scattergories. Sunday dinner was a tradition in our family for many years before my Nanny passed away. Now we were gathered in the same kitchen, playing some of the same familiar games.


Monday morning we had breakfast at my Mama’s house before we left for the airport (another tradition every time I visit my family). The kids were all together one last time that morning – but obviously they did not want their picture taken!


Throughout the weekend, Sophia played with Allie non-stop and the boys loved building her forts, reading to her, and watching over her the entire time. I actually got to rest, relax, and enjoy every minute of this visit.


One last flight to conquer – a three hour direct flight from Columbus to Dallas.
This plane was a little larger so we had three seats together. Sophia sat between Trey and I and watched a little bit of her movie before the battery on the laptop died. She was a little more active this flight and I offered her every snack I could find – but we still made it home without any tears! I proclaim this trip a huge success!


Too bad that the next time we fly, we will be starting all over again with a second baby.

Check back soon for pictures of the surprise we had waiting for us when we arrived home on Monday night…

Also check back to read about the lecture I attended this week by the author of “Eat, Love, Pray”.

No comments: