Thursday, March 26, 2009

And away we go...

This weekend, Trey and I are packing a bag and heading out of town. We are not going far, just an 1 ½ car ride to a small town outside of Dallas so we can get some much needed rest and alone time before the baby makes his debut. I would not call this trip a “Babymoon”. For those of you who do not know what a Babymoon is… A Babymoon is a “last hurrah” trip for parents-to-be to provide the perfect setting to relax and reconnect as a couple before entering (or re-entering) parenthood.

Before Sophia was born we headed to Destin, FL for our 2nd wedding anniversary and our official “Babymoon” trip. I remember being about 5-6 months pregnant and walking along the beach while everyone smiled at me and my growing belly (No, I was not wearing a bikini and I did not bare my belly). We slept late every day, laid on the beach, took naps, went out to eat, did some shopping, and played miniature golf (one of my favorite things to do whenever I go to the beach). It was restful, relaxing, and exciting as we talked about how we would soon be parents for the first time. We were blissfully unaware of how much our lives would really change in a few short months.

This time we planned a trip to give us a break from all the painting, remodeling, cleaning, organizing and nesting that we have been doing around the house. I have not thought about what we are going to do once we get there (notice I am NOT mentioning our destination). I have nothing planned beyond checking in our room, sitting on the balcony at the Inn overlooking the lake, and maybe going out to dinner. I have already told Trey that I am taking away his phone (which means his connection to the outside world) and mine will on but ONLY for emergency phone calls from his parents. Consider this a warning – if you try to reach me this weekend, I will ignore your calls. I will not be checking my emails, posting on my blog, or updating my status on Facebook.

Sophia will be staying with Trey’s parents and she will probably not even notice we are gone. That is fine because her entire world is going to change very soon. She will no longer be the only child, the center of attention, or the baby of the family. She will have to share her mommy and daddy with her screaming little brother. I think she senses a change coming already, as she is starting to need more attention from me each night at bedtime. I have to read her several books, sing LOTS of songs, and rub her leg (or back, or play with her hair). Then I have to lie still next to her in bed while we “take a nap together”. I only lie down for about 2-3 minutes but during that time she will stare into my eyes, put her little hands on my face, and bask in the glow of my love for her.

My countdown tells me we have 66 days until Baby T’s due date. Only 66 days until our world changes again. Our days and nights will be filled with feedings, diaper changes, and lots of laundry. Our family is going to change again… but I can’t wait. I can’t wait to meet this amazing little miracle that is still growing inside of me (and moving ALL the time). It will be a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

1 comment:

Justin and Rachel Smith said...

I'm so happy that you guys get to get away for a weekend before your baby boy enters your world! Noah's due date is 15 days out and it hit me yesterday that sometime in the next two weeks I'm really going to be a mom. Yikes! Anyway, I hope you had a great trip and I'll look forward to finding out where you went! :)