Thursday, March 19, 2009

My weekend flew by like a New York minute...

This past weekend I flew up to New York City to meet up with friends that I have not seen in over 6 years. Three girlfriends who were main characters in the chapters of my childhood, from middle school through high school graduation. Girls who have now become women, wives, and mothers themselves as we have moved to new cities many miles away from our hometown of Huntington, WV.

Through the years I have known the highlights of each of their lives, such as weddings and the births of their babies. We exchange Christmas cards each year but have not talked on the phone or visited since before I moved to Dallas six years ago. We “re-connected” and planned this trip through the social networking site Facebook. ALL of the planning for this trip was done by email – I did not even talk to any of the girls until I met them at the La Guardia airport on Friday afternoon.

The non-stop conversation began as soon as we piled into the airport shuttle and headed to the hotel. I’m sure we annoyed the other 8 or 9 passengers in the van who were quiet the entire 20 minute ride (maybe they could not hear themselves think over our conversations). We had less than 48 hours together in NYC and we took advantage of that time to catch up on the details of our current lives. I woke up hoarse on Sunday morning from chattering away all weekend. I still can’t believe how much fun we packed into one short weekend.

We saw the Broadway musical “Chicago” on Friday night. Saturday morning we were up VERY early to stand outside of NBC studios for the filming of the Today Show (and we made it on television). Trey taped the show and showed it to Sophia while I was gone – she waved at me and said “Hi Mommy!”
We shopped our way up 5th Avenue, had lunch in Times Square, saw the Statue of Liberty, visited the World Trade Center site, did more shopping on Canal Street, and had dinner at a tiny Italian restaurant in Greenwich Village.
After dropping off our packages at our hotel Saturday night, the three other girls went back out to visit the Empire State Building but I decided to stay in. I had managed to keep up with them most of the day, but now the baby and I needed to rest.
Sunday morning was bittersweet as we grabbed some breakfast and headed back to the hotel room, where we talked for over an hour before we hailed a cab to the airport. It was so much fun to spend time with old friends, who know so much about my childhood and who I was before I became the person I am today. Who knows when and where our next trip will take us…

No comments: