Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Motherhood Musings...

Friday night, Trey, Sophia and I were invited to dinner at a neighbor’s house down the street. The couple moved into our neighborhood about a year ago and the husband is a lawyer. We had consulted with him about establishing our wills (fun topic, I know) and he thought it would be more enjoyable to socialize while we talked business. Their children are grown, but they have met Sophia and invited her to come along for dinner too. I was a little worried about how she would behave in a house that does not normally see small children, but I packed up some toys, movies, and her tea party set to keep her entertained.

After getting over her initial fear of their very large but very old (and gentle) dog, she settled in to watch Surf’s Up and play Candyland. Just as we sat down to dinner in the dining room, Sophia immediately decided she needed to go to the potty. I excused us both and quickly took her to potty, wash hands, and return to the dinner table. No problem… until this happened again THREE MORE TIMES during dinner. After the first two or three times, I delegated potty duty to Trey so that I could at least try to eat some of my food. I still don’t know if Sophia was just having trouble going potty or if she just liked their bathroom (she told me it was “beautiful” when we walked in the first time).

------------------------------------------------------

Sunday morning, Sophia and I were making pancakes for breakfast. She stood on her stool next to the counter while I let her help me mix the batter, and then I asked her to play with her coloring and sticker books while I poured perfect circles on the griddle (uh, yeah right). My pancakes are far from perfect – I tried to make a Mickey Mouse pancake for Sophia and passed it off as a kitty-cat after it ended up with pointy ears.

While I was flipping the pancakes, Sophia walked over and gave me a sticker to wear.

“Here, Mommy. Here is a cocodrilo for you.”

Admittedly, I was impressed with her dual language skills, but I realized that if my daughter can give me a crocodile sticker in Spanish then MAYBE she is spending a little too much time watching Dora the Explorer.

**Picture of Sophia finger-painting on Saturday (and proof that I do more than just let my daughter watch TV).

-----------------------------------------------------


The “S” word is banned; from now on we are supposed to refer to the new influenza virus as “Influenza A (H1N1)”. Regardless of the name, it is hitting a little too close to home here in Texas. On Friday, local school officials made the decision to close our entire school district due to up to 11 suspected cases of the virus. Since Sophia attends an in-home daycare, which has decided to stay open this week, she is not directly affected. However our daycare provider has two children who attend elementary school in the district and they will be staying home this week. I was assured that neither of their schools reported any suspected cases, but I still took the weekend to decide if I should send her to daycare this week.

Trey and I both work full time so staying home with her all week is not really an option (although my mother-in-law would more than likely offer to keep her if it was necessary). We are just trying to take precautions without panicking. Our decision was to skip swim lessons at the community pool on Saturday, but we still attended our friend’s First birthday party. We also stayed home from church and did not go to the playground on Sunday, Sophia played in the backyard instead. After checking to see if any of the kids were sick at daycare (they were not), we decided to let her go today. I am finding it difficult to make decisions about what is safe and what to safeguard her from…

No comments: