Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I blame the Dinosaurs and Allligators

No one is getting enough sleep in our house. I blame the dinosaurs and alligators. Apparently the dinosaurs hang out in the shadows of Sophia’s bedroom and only come out in the middle of the night, usually around 2 or 3AM, when she is supposed to be sleeping. I search for them every night before bedtime, looking behind the dresser, beside the nightstand and in the closet - but I have never seen them. They must be world champions at the game of hide and seek or maybe they are invisible to adults, choosing only to make an appearance once the bedroom door is closed. And the alligators, well they tend to hide in the bathtub. How can a three (almost four) year old be expected to go the bathroom by herself when an alligator is right there on the other side of the shower curtain?

The only safe place from the dinosaurs and alligators is MY bed. My bed must have a magical force-field around it that repels these scary, sharp toothed creatures because I have never seen one of them in my room. Somehow in the midst of a room filled with these prehistoric creatures, Sophia manages to make her escape. She climbs out of her bed, rushes past the bathroom that has a bathtub full of alligators and runs down the hall to my bedroom. Did I mention this happens sometime between 2 and 3 AM? You know, when most parents are SLEEPING so they can get up early and go to work the next day! My rule has always been that everyone sleeps in their own bed with the rare exception of when a sick child needs adult attention. So Sophia knows to wake up her Daddy first and ask him if she can sleep in our bed, because there is a high probability that Mommy will say no. When kids are in our bed, I have trouble sleeping and when I don’t get enough sleep, I get grumpy and when Mommy is grumpy… well, that’s not going to turn out good for anyone.

So I have been awake since 3 AM this morning, unless you count the brief period of time where I dozed off between 5:30 and when my alarm went off at 6:00 AM which I don’t think actually counts as sleep. Once I wake up, I have a Very Difficult Time falling back to sleep at night. This is why I keep a stack of books and my laptop beside my bed, to occupy my mind until sleep starts to seep in again. However with Sophia in my bed, I could not turn on my laptop or lamp so I just lay there in bed while she rolled, kicked and twisted in the sheets. After a few hours, Trey had enough of her wiggling and carried Sophia back to her room. She whimpered a little but stayed put in her bed until she fell back asleep, safe from the dinosaurs in the shadows.

I wonder if it is actually my bed that keeps the alligators and dinosaurs away or maybe it is my imposing physical presence. Yeah, I guess not. Maybe if I started sleeping in Sophia’s bed at night, in there with the dinosaurs and next to the bathroom with the alligators, I could get more sleep than I have the past three nights. We need to come up with a plan to keep these creatures away. Does anyone have any experience dealing with monsters in your kids rooms?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

haven't had issues with this "yet", but my cousin (with 2 boys) said that when they had "monsters", they would walk around walker's room with a spray bottle "spraying" magic monster spray to keep them away. they would also pray that the monsters wouldn't scare him while he slept. it worked for him.... who knows!!! hoping and praying for more sleep for the suires! our sleeping thru the night baby woke up last night at 2:30 with another tooth, so i know how you feel!!!