Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Let the Training begin!

This snow and ice is really interfering with my training!  Instead of meeting up with my team at 6:45 AM last Saturday morning for a two mile run, I was forced to head to the gym so I could run on the treadmill.  Although I am anxious to meet my team there are two high points here: 1) I was able to sleep in until almost 8:00 AM instead of dragging my butt out bed before 6 AM on a Saturday and 2) I got to run inside at the gym where it was much warmer than 25 degrees outside.  Although the treadmill can get VERY BORING, I didn't mind staying warm after such a cold week.

I have been running 3-4 days a week since the beginning of January, so I have worked up to some longer runs.  However on Saturday I decided to see how fast I could run a 5K (3.1 miles).  Since I have not actually participated in a race since October, I figured my pace had inproved.  Instead of relying on the treadmill, I use my Garmin FR60 to keep track of my pace and distance.  (Yes, I do keep track of all my runs and chart my progress.  I can't help it, I'm an engineer and I like to have as much data as possible).  My watch always shows that I am running faster than the treadmill, so let's just assume it is more accurate.  According to my Garmin, I ran 3.1 miles in 27:36 with an average pace of 8:54.  That is one of my faster times, so either I was really pumped to be inside where it was warm, or I really hate treadmill running and I was trying to get it over with as quick as possible! 

Monday was a fast two mile run (17:21) at lunch followed by weight training for legs.  I'm not sure this was such a great idea because now my legs are SORE.  Tuesday was another run day so I got in four miles at lunch.  I started out at a slower pace (9:30) because my hamstrings were tight but I had to speed up for the last half mile because I was running out of time to shower and change before getting back to work. 

Becasue I work full time, I usually work out on my lunch break.  This is a great way to break up my day, get out of the office, and get in some exercise.  If I waited until I got home from work at night to go to the gym, I can honestly say it would never happen.  The problem is that I have a limited amount of time for a lunchtime workout (40-45 minutes) and this will not be enough as I work up to longer runs.  So it looks like I am going to be switching to the dreaded 5 :00 AM treadmill run at the gym before I go to work.  Although I feel great when I actually get up and go run in the mornings, I hate the pep talk I have to give myself to actually get out of bed and make it there! 

In case you were wondering, here is the training schedule from Team in Training for the next few weeks.  I am actually ahead of the curve here but that just means I will be more prepared for my race!! 

                    Sun        Mon                 Tue           Wed         Thur               Fri         Sat  
Feb 6-12     Rest       2 miles/WT       4 miles      Snow       3 miles/WT      WT       2 miles
Feb 13-19   Rest       4 miles/WT       2 miles      WT          3 miles/WT      Rest      3 miles
Feb 20-26   WT         4 miles/WT       2 miles      WT          2 miles             Rest     10K Race!
(WT - weight training) - I may also switch up weight training days with yoga or pilates.

Wow, I am kind of glad I have another snow day today to rest because just looking at the schedule wears me out.  Don't worry, I can always add some rest days as needed if I feel I am training too much. 

Don't forget to check out my TNT page for more details about a special little boy who has beat leukemia.  I am now running in honor of Jacob Norvell. 
      

No comments: