Monday, February 14, 2011

From Bundled Up to Beautiful Sunshine

Because the weather had warmed up considerably since Saturday morning, I decided to actually run outside on Sunday afternoon. It was also a great chance to get the kids outside for some exercise, fresh air and family fun time. We waited until Tallen woke up from his afternoon nap (around 3:15) so he would be in a good mood, then packed a few snacks and drinks, grabbed the stroller and diaper bag, and headed to Andy Brown Park just 5 minutes from our house. Trey dropped me off at the start of the trail around the lake while he headed to the playground with the kids. I planned on doing a complete loop around the park (which was about 2.7 miles) before heading back to the playground to meet them.

Running outside is soooo much better than running on the treadmill. One of the reasons I started running is because it gives me a chance to be outside while getting some exercise. Sunday was a picture perfect day at the park with all the families outside playing Frisbee, flying kites, kicking soccer balls, playing basketball and of course, feeding the ducks. I guess the beautiful weather gave me an energy boost because I managed to finish my 3.1 miles in less than 28 minutes (averaging about a 9:00 minute/mile).

I met up with Trey and the kids on my way back to the playground and we walked over to the lake to feed the ducks. Although we forgot to bring our own bread, at least two families were kind enough to share thier's with the kids. After feeding the ducks, we found a bench in a sunny spot and let the kids eat their snack. Family fun day was not over yet. - after the park we went home and had a dance party in the living room before dinner (Shh, don’t tell the kids but we were really just trying to wear them so they would be ready for bed).

Because of the unexpected beautiful weather (from 27 degrees on Saturday morning to 73 degrees on Sunday afternoon) I did not want to waste my time in the kitchen cooking, so dinner was a little scattered. For the adults it was chicken chili thrown together at the last minute. Sophia had an egg sandwich, Tallen had peanut butter and jelly on wheat and dessert was grapes and orange slices.  Trey put the kids to bed while I tackled two days’ worth of dirty dishes in the kitchen. I really don’t think it is fair to have the dishwasher and microwave break in the same week!

Highlights of the weekend: Tallen got his first haircut on Saturday and he looks so grown up! Sophia helped me make red velvet cupcakes for Valentine’s day for her daddy. Family time at the park in the beautiful weather put us all in a great mood.

1 comment:

Rick said...

I agree, running outside is WAY better than the dreadmill!