Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Things we do for Love

Have you ever done something that is not really in your comfort zone, something you would not choose to do on your own, something that you may not even enjoy doing but you do anyway because it makes the person you love very happy?   

Last night I did something that I would only do for my husband.  I went with him to a bar to watch the UFC fights, on a Saturday night at 10 PM after a very long day that included me getting up at 3:30 AM to go running in Fort Worth.  


Line for the post race beer tent
I will admit, it was not a complete sacrifice for me to go to the bar with him because I did get to eat wings and finally drink my post race beer.  I did not visit the beer tent after the race yesterday morning because 1) it was 8 AM and I have lost the ability to drink alcohol so early in the morning (which was not a problem in college when tailgating started at 7 AM for football games) and 2) I had to drive 45 minutes to get home and drinking a beer on an empty stomach before getting in the car to drive is not a good idea when one beer can make me tipsy. 

Not only was I willing to go to the bar with my husband to watch the fights, I did this AFTER I got home from another event that evening.  Earlier on Saturday, I met a friend at the Dallas Museum of Art to attend the Distinguished Writer series in which acclaimed author Joyce Carol Oates spoke about her incredible career as a writer before she read some excerpts from her current memoir.  So when I got home that evening, I was in a completely different frame of mind. 

I had to switch from listening to Joyce Carol Oates, award winning novelist, poet, professor at Princeton University and Pulitzer Prize nominee to...  the aggressive, sweaty, violent, bloody bouts in the UFC.  From the cultural, literary, serene setting at the Horchow Auditorium at the Dallas Museum of Art to the loud, multi television, testosterone fueled environment at the sports bar.  Oh the things we do for love...

And what was the magical thing that my husband did for me that made me willing to stay out late after such a long day?  He took the kids and got out of the house when I got back from the race just so I could take a NAP.  Now that, my friends, is what love is all about. . 

Have you made any special sacrifices for the one you love?  What have you done for that special someone that you would never done on your own?  Has anyone done something special for you in return?

No comments: