Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice, Ice Baby...

On Monday I knew that bad weather was headed our way, but I don't think any of us were prepared with the ice and cold temperatures we are experiencing here in Dallas this week.  It started raining Monday evening and turned to ice overnight.  The sound of ice hitting the roof and back of the house woke me up at 4 AM on Tuesday morning.  Because of the severe weather, I decided against getting up at 5 AM to get in a morning run at the gym.  I have been training for a few weeks, even before I signed up with Team In Training.  My goal is to run a 10K in the next month or two, so I chose the Cowtown 10K in Fort Worth, TX.  Basically I need to run 3-4 days a week to work up to the 6.2 miles I will be running on Saturday, February 26th.  With a few morning runs at the gym, social runs at RunOn in Coppel on Wednesday nights and weekend runs in the neighborhood I have been averaging 12-16 miles a week for the past month. 

So instead of getting in an early run before going to work on Tuesday, I was up watching the news to see if the roads were safe to drive to work.  About two minutes into the morning newscast, I knew it was pretty bad outside.  All the major school districts were closed, which meant both kids were staying home too.  The icing on the cake was when I tried to open the back door to let our pug, Coco go out to potty, and I found that the door was completely frozen shut.  I put on a pot of coffe and a few extra layers of clothes just to stay warm in my own house. 

Trey decided around lunchtime to drive to the gym to check out the roads.  His verdict was that I would NOT be able to get my car out of the neighborhood and he was doubtful that I would be going to work the next day (Wednesday) either.  He slid about four times and said several area roads were closed by the Lewisville police because cars were sliding off the road.  I spent most of the day cooking for the kids, doing laundry and washing dishes before it got even colder outside. 

That was a good decision because today turned out to be even worse than yesterday.  I got up with the intention of trying to drive in to work around 9 or 10 AM.  However, the schools were closed again and the news was reporting "rolling power outages" across the city which meant we could expect losses of power for about 15 minutes at a time.  The side roads were still covered in ice and Trey said he slid multiple times when he went to get extra firewood for our fire tonight.

Finally around lunchtime today , I decided that I wanted to test the roads for myself mainly so I would know if I could finally get to work in the morning. I chose the closest destination I could think of - which is the gym.  Although I slid more than once on the way there, I did make it to the gym safely.  The best part is that I accomplished a huge milestone in my training  - I ran 6 miles today!  Even though it was on the treadmill (it would be a death wish to try to run outside on those ice covered sidewalks in 14 degree weather), six miles is the longest distance that I have ever ran at once.  I feel much better prepared to run the 10K at the end of this month, and I also learned that I get to run the Cowtown 10K with my Team In Training teammates!

So overall, today turned out to be a pretty good day.  I got up, made breakfast for my kids, had coffee with my husband, played several games of Hungry Hippos and Hullabaloo, then ran six miles at the gym.  We are having family movie time this afternoon and I am looking forward to Trey building another fire tonight.  I might need to ice my knees after this run but at least the fire will keep me warm.

No comments: