Monday, February 14, 2011

Week 1 - Off to a slow start...

My first “official” training with TNT was Saturday morning. My alarm went off at 5:30 to give me time to wake up, get dressed, eat some breakfast and leave the house by 6:15 AM. Side note: Breakfast was one slice of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter, topped with half of a sliced banana - running fuel! Our first meeting was at a sporting goods store about 25 minutes away from my house, and was not sure of the exact location so I wanted some extra time to find my way there. Let me just point out that it was still dark and 27 degrees outside when I left the house so I dressed in multiple layers to keep me warm until it was time to run. I recently learned about the “20 degree rule” of running. Whatever temperature it is outside, dress like it is 20 degrees warmer because your body will heat up quickly once you start exercising. Still, I brought a hat, gloves, and a fleece to wear over my running clothes until I was actually warmed up.

Walking into the store was a little overwhelming because there were more than 50 people there at 6:45 AM on a Saturday! I soon realized that there were two groups meeting at the same location: the TNT group and another running group affiliated with the sporting goods store. At first, I was happy to be inside and out of the cold but I did not realize that we were going to be sitting through more than an hour of announcements, and info sessions about shoe fittings and apparel. By 8:00 AM I was antsy to get back outside start running (and I was wishing that I had stopped for coffee).

Finally around 8:20 AM we headed outside for a two mile run. This was mainly a short run to determine who the “runners” were and who the “walkers” were in our group. Although my race is in the Dallas area, other TNT members are training for races in San Diego or Alaska (both marathons and half marathons). Basically the run was more of a free-for-all instead of an actual group run, so I just focused on getting in some miles that morning. In two weeks I will be running (my first) 10K and I should be getting in longer runs right now.

Next was the walk clinic, to learn how to speed walk. The last part of the day was a shoe fitting, to get us into the proper running shoes. I had just bought new shoes last month because I was experiencing some knee pain from running in shoes that were about a year old, so I did not stay for the shoe fitting. Still, my first training managed to take up almost four hours of my morning! After all that, I felt that a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks was justified and necessary to get me through the rest of my day.

Mileage logged last week: Monday – 2 miles, Tuesday – 4 miles, Thursday -3.1 miles, Saturday 2.2 miles

1 comment:

Rick said...

Good luck with your training. I have ran two half marathons myself.