Friday, February 25, 2011

On the way to my first 10K

As part of our training, we were encouraged to sign up for a local race with our teammates to get a feel for the racing experience.  Although I have run several 5K races, the 10K distance is new for me.  So this weekend I am running my first 10K in Fort Worth, TX.  The Cowtown includes a kids 5K, adult 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon and an ultra marathon race.  I did not even know what an "ultra marathon" was until I looked it up on wikipedia.  
An ultramarathon (also called ultra distance) is any sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 42.195 kilometres (26.2188 mi).  There are two types of ultramarathon events: those that cover a specified distance, and events that take place during specified time (with the winner covering the most distance in that time).
The Cowtown ultramarathon is a 50K, which basically means I would have to the 10K route five times in a row to complete the distance that these elite athletes will run.  Yeah, thats not going to happen.   
Unfortunately, my hamstring in my right leg has been bothering me since my workout at lunch on Wednesday.  Although I was scheduled to run three miles yesterday, I decided to give my leg a little more rest so I did some light walking and stretching instead.  If it continues to bother me in the morning during my warmup, I might try to take frequent walk breaks during my race.  Although I wanted to run the 10K at a race pace, I may have to hold back and run at my training pace so I don't injure myself. 
This afternoon I am heading to Fort Worth (about 45 minutes away) to scope out the race area, figure out the parking situation for the morning, pick up my race packet, and attend the Health and Fitness Expo.  My original plan was for my husband to go with me to Fort Worth, go out for an early dinner, then spend the night nearby so I could get a good night's rest and be within walking distance of the starting line in the morning.  However, our babysitting options did not work out as planned so I will be sleeping in my own bed instead.  Did I mention that the race starts at 7 AM?  That means I will be setting my alarm for 4:30 AM so I can drive back to Fort Worth in the morning (alone, because again we don't have a babysitter).  My husband is a little bummed because he is always there to watch me race.  At least he will be there with the kids for the half marathon in May
I thought about bringing my camera to take pictures along the course but I don't have place to stash my camera.  So I need some feedback from all you dedicated long distance runners out there - what do you use for races to stash your stuff? You know, the important stuff like your keys, camera and phone. 
Check back tomorrow for an update on how my minor injury affected my run, the results of my race, (hopefully) some pictures from the weekend.   

2 comments:

Trey said...

Please dont wear a fanny pack :)

tknolglvr said...

Probably too late to purchase, but next race (half marathon)...
http://www.spibelt.com/