Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cookies!

I was craving some cookies yesterday, but wanted to keep it a little healthy so I tried out a new recipe from Tina over at Carrots N Cake (one of the Healthy Lifestyle blogs that I follow).  Oatmeal, almond butter, and chocolate chips - how could I go wrong with that combination!  My daughter, Sophia, usually helps me in the kitchen because she loves to bake but tonight she was not interested because she was playing Wii tennis and bowling with her daddy.  The good news was I could make these cookies much faster without her "help" and with a one bowl recipe, the cleanup was super easy. 

COOKIES!
The original recipe makes 6 cookies and calls for 1/4 cup of almond butter.  However, I have four hungry cookie eaters in my house so I decided to double the recipe.  When I gathered all the ingredients, I realized that I was almost out of almond butter!  After adding that to the grocery list, I mixed up the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and egg whites with a combination of Justin's Honey Almond Butter, Justin's Natural Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Jiff Creamy Natural Peanut Butter. 

The mixture was a little loose and messy (I will add a little less egg whites next time) but it made about 14 cookies.  I baked them at 350 for about 14 minutes (it is hard to tell if they are turning brown so I had to do the touch test in the center) and let them cool for a few minutes before I had to taste them myself. 

The taste reminded me a little bit of no-bake cookies that I ate as a child, because of the oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate mixture.  These were not as rich but the chocolate chips gave them that sweetness I was looking for without all the butter, flour and white sugar.  They got a huge thumbs up from my husband who said I could make these for him ANYTIME.  He is usually not a big fan of my "lightened" recipes for sweets so that was a huge compliment. 

Note, these cookies are best when they are eaten the day they are made.  I stored them in a tupperware container overnight, but noticed they were a little soft this morning and I prefer them with a little more crunch. 

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I LOVE no-bake cookies! So I will definitely have to try this recipe!