Monday, March 7, 2011

A few bumps in the road

Throughout many of our journeys in life, we often hit some bumps along the road. At the end of January I decided to sign up for a half marathon, and I was in the middle of good training program. Once I started meeting with my team, I got some great coaching advice and have increased my speed and distance training. I was very pleased with the results of my first 10K and things were just rolling along… then last week I hit a few bumps. 

When I woke up this morning, I realized that I have not been running in almost a week. My last training run was Tuesday night on the track in Valley Ranch. I took it slow and easy that night because I felt like I was still recovering from the race the weekend before. On Wednesday I went to the gym at lunch to do some cross training but I was still running on empty. I blamed it on a lack of sleep (from staying up until midnight on Sunday to watch the Oscars on DVR and from Sophia’s night terrors that woke me up on Tuesday night). No workout on Thursday in an effort to rest and by Friday morning it was apparent that I was coming down with something… a stomach virus. I left work early and headed straight for my bed.

By Saturday evening I was finally able to sit up, eat dinner, and stay awake for more than 2 hours at a time. Lack of food and dehydration had taken its toll and I was glad that I had an extra day at home to recover before heading back to work on Monday. Basically I missed all the fun stuff that happens on the weekend that I looked forward to all week: date night with my husband on Friday, training with my team on Saturday, brunch with the girls afterwards, and shopping with the kids for spring clothes. We did make it to church on Sunday and I went to the grocery store that afternoon. After being confined to my bed or the couch for two days, it felt great to just get out of the house.

I will be starting out this week slow and easy, but I will be building up to 7 miles this Saturday.

Week 4: Monday – 2 miles, Tuesday - 3.6 miles, Thursday – no running, Saturday – no running

No comments: