Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Post Workout Banana Smoothie

 Last night after I got home from running 4 miles of intervals, I wanted something cold, refreshing and tasty.  I decided on a banana smoothie and this version turned out to be a lot like a Green Monster but without the spinach.  Maybe I will have a green monster in celebration of St. Patrick's day tomorrow.


In the mix for my Banana Smoothie:

1/2 cup of Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1/3 - 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (I used the rest of my vanilla Chobani)
1/2 frozen sliced banana
1 scoop of whey protein powder (vanilla)
1-2 Tbs of nut butter (I like the PB2 chocolate peanut butter flavor)
1 Tbs ground flax seed
1 sprinkle of chia seeds
6-8 ice cubes (add more if the shake is too thin)


I put all the ingredients in the blender (or a Vitamix if you have one) and blended until smooth.  Of course the minute I turned the blender off, I heard Sophia yelling "Mommy" from her bedroom.  She wanted to know what I was making (because she recognized the sound of the blender and banana smoothies are her FAVORITE).  Since it was past her bedtime and I didn't want to give her a smoothie after she had already brushed her teeth (or maybe I just didn't want to share), I told her I was making a protein shake.  She said "okay" and went back to bed.  I promise I will make her a banana smoothie today, I will just have to double the recipe so we can share!

No comments: