Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day!  I hope that everyone gets a chance to spend some time with family and friends today.  Also take a moment to honor and remember all of the men and women who have lost their lives serving our country.

After a busy start to this four day weekend, we are slowing things down at the Suire house today.  The kids spent the night at their Gran and Opa's last night so Trey and I were able to sleep until 8:00 AM!!  After starting some laundry and cleaning the kitchen, I headed to the gym for an hour long workout.  Although this may not seem like a big deal to you, I was so excited that I had more than my usual 40 minutes on my lunch hour to squeeze in my workout. 

About five minutes after I got home, Gran showed up with the kids so we could all head to the pool.  Trey drove the kids to the neighborhood pool while I finished making us all a picnic lunch.  After packing the ice chest and grabbing my towel, I walked down the block to meet them.  Tallen has not been a fan of the pool so far this year so when I got there this afternoon I was happy to see that Tallen sitting in a raft, splashing in the water and enjoying himself.  Trey had borrowed a raft from our neighbor so Tallen and Sophia were both sitting in it while Trey pushed them around the pool.  Besides our neighbors and their friends, we pretty much had the pool to ourselves. 

The kids were hungry when I got there, so they got out of the pool and sat down at the picnic table while I set out our lunch.  Lunch was kind of a free for all because I never know what the kids will be in the mood to eat, so I packed carrot sticks, grapes, strawberries, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on wheat bagel thins (Sophia insists on bagel thins instead of bread now), veggie Pirate's Booty, cheese sticks, banana chips and yogurt smoothies.  Trey and I shared tuna salad (made with mashed avocado and a little mayo) on three seed wheat bread from the bakery along with some carrot sticks and grapes. 

After lunch, the kids got back in the pool with Trey and I did something that I have not been able to do since I became a mother almost five years ago...  I sat in a lounge chair by the pool and read a magazine for 30 minutes without anyone interrupting me!!!  I looked up a few times and saw Sophia playing with the neighborhood boys in the water.  She was wearing her floaties and there was always a dad close by so she was safe.  Trey took Tallen into the baby pool to play for awhile, then Tallen came back to my chair to ask for more snacks. 

It was about time for Tallen's nap so I offered to walk home with him while Trey stayed at the pool with Sophia.  I told him that there was no way that I was getting in the water (it is still way to cold for me) so it would be better for him to stay so Sophia could play a little longer.  I came home to a quiet house and took advantage of the few minutes I had alone to blog. 

Well, Trey and Sophia are back from the pool so I better go see what else we have planned today.  I vote for a frozen yogurt trip followed by a cookout in the back yard.  I have some turkey hot dogs and watermelon that would be perfect on this beautiful summer day! 

Check back later for a post about our trip to San Antonio and Seaworld this weekend!

No comments: