Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race Recap - Firefly Run

Last night Trey and I ran the Firefly Run (5K) in Plano, TX.  I was excited about this race because it has been 8 months since I have run a race with Trey AND it is officially the latest start to a race that I have ever participated in... 9 PM! Over 3,000 people were registered so we arrived pretty early to get a parking spot, stand in line at the porta pottys, and grab a few samples from the vendors.

I enjoyed wearing the BRIGHTEST running clothes I own and my shirt even matched the LED light up bracelets that were in our race packets.  They were a little to big to wear as bracelets so we strapped them on our legs and turned them on right before the race. 

As this is a national race that visits several major cities, there were some familiar sponsors...




It was HOT outside so we stopped by the Jamba Juice and Honest Tea tents for some samples before the race. I had a Strawberry Surf Rider from Jamba Juice and the Honest Tea Peach White tea. Trey tried the Strawberry Wild from Jamba Juice and the Honest Tea Superfruit punch (which was my favorite).


We look so much better here than in our post race picture, we had no idea how hot it would still be at 9:30 PM. 


Waiting for the sun to go down so the race could begin.  I was really glad that we decided to run the 5K instead of the 10K.  Trey just started training to run four weeks ago and I have not had a long run since my half marathon last month. 

Around 8:45 we go in line and I could tell that it would be an interesting start to the race.  We started right on time at 9 PM.  No pace corrals and no wave start... which meant it was pretty much a free for all the first mile.  We probably started out a little too fast trying to find some room in the crown to run, but after about 1.5 miles we found some breathing room.  There was only ONE water stop which we slowed down and walked through.  I never saw the 2 mile marker but I was wearing my Garmin so I kept giving Trey updates on how much farther we had to go.  About 20 minutes into the race we were soaking wet, running up a hill and tempted to slow down for a walk break.  After the turn around on the hill, Trey surprised me by picking up the pace again.  I checked my watch and told him we only had about half a mile to go so we kept pushing.  Our goal before the race was to run it in under 30 minutes, which would be a personal record for Trey. 

As we passed the 3 mile marker, I looked down at my watch and told Trey that we had this.  We made the turn towards the finish line and Trey grabbed my hand just before we crossed... and I forgot to look up at the clock.  We did it! 

Trey looked at his watch and his time was 28:02.  We were thrilled when we checked the official race results and found that we both had a new PR of 27:50!!! 

Running a night race was a great experience but it never cooled down outside like I expected.  In fact, the temperature was 97 degrees AFTER the race.  The heat made it much harder to catch my breath and it also took longer for me to cool down. By the time we took this picture, we had drank LOTS of water and sampled more food from the vendors. 


There was no beer tent at the race so we headed out to BJ's brewhouse in Lewisville for our post race beer. 



Trey and I both ordered the seasonal brew called Nit Wit which was really refreshing and the Margherita Fresca flatbread.  It was the perfect ending to a long day!

No comments: