Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Listening to the Sounds of Life

There is so much noise in a house filled with children. 

Sounds of laughter, shouting, fighting, screeching at the top of their lungs for no reason.  The television is usually blaring a kids show like Scooby Doo.  I would much rather it be on something a little more low key like Super Why or Word Girl, but Trey bends the rules waaaaaayyyy more than I do.  On top of the television, I also hear Elmo blasting from the speakers of the computer as Sophia learns something new from http://www.sesamestreet.com/

Trey and I both sat down for a moment on Sunday and just looked at each other while the chaos around us continued.  We gave up having meaningful conversations during daylight hours.  It's no use, we get less than two minutes into a conversation and someone asks for a cup of milk, an apple, a piece of cheese or a toy from upstairs. Then the dog is barking to be let out or protesting being put in her kennel after she is punished for chewing up Barbie's shoe. 

The washing machine and dryer are our background music on Sunday.  The dishwasher joins in later in the evening.  I try to escape to the back patio but someone always follows.  Tallen wants to be pushed on the swings, Sophia wants her garden tools to dig in the dirt.  Coco barks at the breeze blowing through the trees, or maybe at nothing, I can't really tell the difference. Our life is lived LOUD. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning I was running a little late for work because of my early 6 1/2 mile run.  Instead of escaping the house while everyone was still sleeping, I heard Tallen awake and yelling at me from his bed while I was making my breakfast.  I had just let Coco go outside to potty when I walked upstairs to his room.  As I was changing his diaper, I heard more noise downstairs:

the microwave beeping to let me know my eggs were ready
the toaster popping up with my bagel thin
the nonstop barking from Coco, letting me know that she wanted back inside
the sound of Tallen's voice asking for his choo-choo train

Instead of letting the noise of the day overwhelm me, I stopped for moment and thought...
  • what if there was no sound of my toddlers voice telling me he was awake?
  • what if there was no sound of barking from a persistent little pug?
  • what if there was no sound of laughter from two kids playing?
  • what if there was no children's shows playing on tv?
  • what if there was no child asking for a drink or a snack?
  • what if there was no music playing from Trey's guitar?
  • what if?
Last week I was traveling for work and each night I came home to a quiet, empty hotel room.  Some nights I did not even bother to turn any music or television.  However after a few nights, I missed the sounds of home. 

The noise that children bring, the music that comes from my husband, the sounds of everyday life in our house... I don't ever want to know what life would be like if these things were gone forever.  I don't want a quiet life.  So tonight I am going to go home, turn on the tv, the radio, the dishwasher, the washing machine, the computer games, tell Trey to play his electric guitar - and just listen to the noise.  Because my life would not be the same without it. 

“If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud" - Emile Zola

No comments: