Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 1

30 Days of Thanks -
I am not sure that I will capture all 30 days, but I wanted to start out November talking about the things I am thankful for in my family.  I hope you enjoy...

Monday night was Trick-or-Treat in our neighborhood.  With two small children, there is usually a lot of discussion and planning about who is taking the kids trick-or-treating and who will stay at home to hand out candy.  This year, Trey's parents offered to hand out candy at our house while we took the kids out to get their sugar rush. 

On Saturday, Trey went for an 8 mile run as part of his training for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon that we are running together in December.  After church on Sunday, I noticed he was limping because he ankle was hurting.  By Monday afternoon, Trey was in a soft cast and a walking boot as the result of tendinitis in his ankle. The doctor told him to stay off his feet as much as possible for the next week, so that meant Trey was out of the picture for Halloween night. 


Instead of hanging out with Tallen and me, Sophia decided to go trick-or-treating with the girls next door.  I knew this was coming, because last week she let me know that Tallen was "too little" to go trick-or-treat. I waited for Tallen to cry when his sister left with the 'big girls" but he was too excited about candy to care.

Around 7 PM, Tallen and I started walking up the street by ourselves.  For the next 45 minutes, it was just me and my little skeleton knocking on doors throughout neighborhood and checking out all of the scary Halloween decorations.  I realized that I rarely get to spend "fun time" with Tallen alone.  Usually it is family time on the weekends or I choose to take Sophia with me to the grocery store, but there are not a lot of times where Tallen and I are by ourselves.  But Halloween night, I got to hang out with just my little boy.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 

Tallen lasted a lot longer than I expected.  About 35 minutes after we left the house, he asked me for some orange juice which meant he was getting sleepy.  A few houses later, he walked up to say "trick-or-treat" but stood still after the neighbors gave him some candy and oohed and ahhed about how cute he was in his costume.  When I asked if he wanted to go home, he replied "Yeah."  When I asked if he was ready for bed, he replied "Yeah."


So I scooped up my tired little skeleton and carried him two blocks home.  He laid his head on my shoulder and held on tight around my neck.  After changing him out of his costume and into his pajamas, he went to bed without any protests or requests for candy.  For that, I AM THANKFUL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That man will do ANYTHING to get out of renewing those vows!!!
:)

Laura G.