Monday, November 28, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 28

Today is my first day back to work after taking 5 1/2 days off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  It was one of those trips where things went even better than we planned so we came back happy, healthy and ready to start the Christmas season.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 

On Tuesday, we pulled out of Dallas around lunchtime so start our Thanksgiving road trip.  Trey was shooting a commercial for a local jewelry store in Shreveport that evening.  After expecting to entertain the kids by myself for the evening, we were all surprised when his shoot was finished in less than two hours.  After eating the free dinner at our hotel, we all piled on the pull-out bed in our room and watched Cars 2 together.  I was so excited when we woke up the next morning and I realized that the kids let us get a full 8+ hours of sleep that night!  Wednesday morning we packed up the car again and drove to Lafayette.  As soon as we got in town, we headed to one of our favorite burger places, Judice Inn, for lunch.  Later that evening, 18 members of the Suire family posed for a picture wearing bright red shirts as we prepared to participate in the Camellia Crossing 5K race in honor of Trey's late grandmother, Jane Suire.  That night, three Suires completed their very first 5K - Sophia, Nick and Mark (Opa). 


Thursday morning was Thanksgiving at the camp.  I made breakfast for the kids and watched bits and pieces of the parade between sitting outside in the beautiful weather.  We ate lunch around noon, then listened to Trey and Nick sing and play guitar for the entire family.  After the obligatory nap while watching football, the kids wore themselves out by playing with their cousins.  Instead of pumpkin pie for dessert, we made smores by the campfire that evening.  That night, I even managed to start reading a book that I checked out of the library 6 weeks ago. 


On Friday, I left the kids with Trey and took advantage of Black Friday deals to get some Christmas shopping finished.  I was one of the few women that was not pushing a stroller around the mall that day.  For that, I AM THANKFUL.  Later that evening, I put the kids to bed and stayed up late to finish the book I started the night before.  For that, I AM THANKFUL.

Saturday morning I was excited to go for a short solo run in the country.  However, it was a warm and humid outside when I started my run.  Then I startled some duck hunters as I ran by with my music blaring from my phone and I got chased by two dogs as I ran down the road.  Not so thankful for any of that. 

Later that afternoon, I sat in a dark movie theater with two little sleepy kids on my lap while we watched The Muppets. Memories from my childhood came flooding back while I was making new memories with my kids.  It was the first time I had ever taken both kids to the movies by myself.  Since we were running a little late, I did not have time to stop and buy popcorn for Sophia on the way into the theater.  Instead, I promised the kids I would take them out for ice cream afterwards.  A little while later, I sipped on a butterscotch shake as I watched Sophia spin in circles on a red bar stool at the counter in Borden's while I helped Tallen eat his ice cream. 

Saturday night, Trey and I met up with some of his old friends from Crowley.  After dinner, drinks and lots of laughter, I was beyond exhausted so we headed back to his uncle's house where I immediately crawled into bed.  Our drive home on Sunday was uneventful and I even took 2 (or maybe 3) naps in the car.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 

It was an extra-long holiday weekend filled with family, friends, food and fun.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 

No comments: