Friday, November 4, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 4

Yesterday morning around 9:15 AM, I made my usual phone call to Trey to see how the kids behaved after I left for work.  When I left they were eating pancakes and watching cartoons on PBS but Tallen started to cry a little when I told him goodbye.  Trey could tell by the sound of my voice that something was bothering me, so he kept asking if I was okay.


Finally I admitted that work is completely stressing me out.  I have several deadlines coming up in the middle and end of November and I am overwhelmed at the amount of work that I need to accomplish in the next few weeks.  Between family, work, running and writing - there just does not seem to be enough hours in the day.  Work is taking priority right now, so that means that I have to cut back on some of the things that I really enjoy doing in my spare time. 

Because right now, I have NO spare time.  There is barely time to do the basic things around the house like cook, clean up the dishes or do a load of laundry.

So when I called Trey later in the day to let him know that I had a late afternoon meeting, he arranged to have his mom pick up Tallen from daycare so I did not have to stress about getting there on time.  Even better, Sophia asked if she and Tallen could spend the night, so Trey packed them some clothes and told me there was no need to rush home. 

I was able to get in a few extra hours of work last night without the guilt of missing my kids.  When I got home around 7:15 PM, the house was fairly quiet.  As I walked into the kitchen to put away my lunch bag, I noticed that there were no dishes in the sink and the kitchen was clean.  For that, I AM THANKFUL!

I guess I was not the only one who was able to take advantage of the kids being gone for the evening.  Trey cleaned up the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher and folded three loads of laundry.  For that, I AM THANKFUL!  He even had to re-wash a load of towels because I got to busy earlier this week and never put them in the dryer! 


Instead of worrying about kids or dishes or laundry last night, I was finally able to relax.  I opened a bottle of red wine and dug through Tallen's Halloween candy until I found some dark chocolate.  Then I went upstairs and soaked in a hot bath - by candlelight! For all of these things, I AM THANKFUL!

No comments: