Monday, November 7, 2011

30 Days of Thanks - Day 7

Monday mornings are not my favorite time of the week.  In fact, this morning was pretty much over the top for my stress levels from the moment I sat down at my desk at work.  First, I found out that the theater tickets that I bought for my birthday were actually for a perfomance on November 1st and NOT November 11th.  So we missed the performance and there was nothing the ticket office could do about the fact that I wasted $70 on tickets that went unused.  After deciding that I was unwilling to purchase new tickets for Friday night, I am left with making birthday plans at the last minute. 

Oh by the way, my birthday is on 11/11/11 this year.  You should all try to call or email me at 11:11 AM on 11/11/11 and wish me Happy Birthday.  Or you can buy me 11 presents.  You choose. 

Then I found out that I have another project that is starting this week and has a deadline of mid-December.  That means that I will basically be putting in overtime for the next 7 -8 weeks.  I know that is expected at this time of year but I always get anxious about getting all of my work completed and meeting all the deadlines. 

Why am I burdening you with all of this?  Because it took me awhile to find something to be thankful for this morning after starting the day of with so much negative news.  I really had to dig deep today. 

Then I thought about my Sunday afternoon, when I got home from the race.  Sophia wasn't feeling well, so she wanted to lay on my lap and watch a movie together.  Although I have heard every word of several movies that the kids watch in the car during long trips, I have not actually watched most of these movies.  Sunday, I finally sat down and watched the movie "Up" while snuggling with Sophia.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 


A little while later, Tallen woke up from a too short nap and was crying uncontrollably.  Neither Trey nor I could calm him down for almost 15 minutes.  Finally, I went downstairs and rocked him awhile then gave him three of his favorite things: a stuffed animal he calls Bubby, his favorite blanket that he sleeps with every day and a cup of orange juice.  Turning on an episode of Scooby Doo helped too.  

Once he finally stopped crying, he was ready to play.  Since I was too sore to cook, do laundry or even pick up around the house after running 13.1 miles that morning, I was able to just sit on the floor and play cars with Tallen.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 
Later that evening when I was putting Tallen to bed, we settled down in the yellow chair in the corner of his room to read a book.  As soon as we were finished, he asked for another book.  In fact, he said he wanted his "farm book" that has pictures of tractors working on a farm to get it ready for the fair.  This was the first time that Tallen has asked for a specific story during bedtime, which lets me know that I have sparked a passion for reading books in my kids.  For that, I AM THANKFUL. 

Once I was downstairs, Coco Puff jumped up in my lap and demanded some pug attention.  Usually I push her off because she stinks and I don't want to smell like a stinky dog.  Somehow Trey talked me into giving her a bath on Sunday night.  For that, I AM THANKFUL.  After washing, rinsing and repeating with Smurf bodywash and Strawberry Shortcake shampoo, Coco smelled sooooo much better.  Which is why she was allowed to sit next to me on the couch and lay next to Trey on the chair.  I guarantee for that, COCO PUFF WAS VERY THANKFUL!


If you are having trouble finding happiness or hope today, dig deep and think about the little things in life that you are thankful for.  You will probably be surprised at what you can find. 

No comments: